A Heart so Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer | BOOK REVIEW

April 19, 2020



wow. just wow. I thought the first book in this series was good, but this one was EVEN BETTER. It kept me hooked the entire time and went in a completely different direction to what I was expecting. I could not put it down! 

*this review could contain minor spoilers for book 1 in this series* 

A Heart So Fierce and Broken is the second book in the cursebreakers trilogy and is told from the P.O.V of Commander Grey and a new character, Lia Mara, who is from Shyl Shallow. 
The book picks up a few months after the ending of A Curse So Dark And Lonely, Grey is on the run. There are rumours that he could be the heir of Emberfall and that Prince Rhen is looking for him even though 
Grey has no desire to take the crown for himself. When Grey meets Lia Mara, the daughter of Karis Luran, he begins to question everything. 

Would standing against Rhen benefit Emberfall? 

When I picked up AHSFAB I was a little nervous because I knew that we wouldn't see much of Harper or Rhen in this book and I didn't know whether I was going to like the new characters. But honestly, I LOVED the new P.O.V's we got in this book. Especially Lia Mara, who's main goal is to bring about peace.
I adored her. She just wanted everyone to get along & be happy. She is also smart, strong and would rather sit and read than go to social events (relatable). 

It was also fantastic to see more from Grey in this book. I liked him in ACSDAL but he definitely wasn't one of my favourite characters - he was just very mysterious. It was great to read from his P.O.V. and really understand him as a character more in this book. 

The romance between Grey and Lia Mara was also so sweet! I was rooting for them sO BAD throughout the whole book! They had soooo much chemistry and they were so well suited to eachother<3. I cannot wait to see more of them together in book 3 :'). 

This book also did a really good job of expanding the world that was introduced in book 1. I loved the fact that we got to see Shyl Shallow and it wasn't just this 'unknown threat' that needs to be defeated. I think it really gave the world depth and raised the stakes. I now definitely care about what happens between the two countries and am a little bit torn between them! I want the best for Grey and Lia Mara but I also want Rhen and Harper to be happy! 
I can't wait to see where Brigid takes this story in book 3! 

Finally, AHSFAB was much more fast-paced than the first book which i LOVED. The book dove right into the action from page one and there wasn't a dull moment! I absolutely could not put this book down. 

Overall, if you enjoyed the first book in this series then I don't think you will be disappointed by this one! It was filled with action, intrigue, loveable characters and swoon-worthy romance. 

If you read the first book and haven't picked this one up yet I would highly suggest that you check it out! 

~

You Might Also Like

1 Comments